Monday, April 28, 2014

The Future is Now

by PJ Regnier

For a sci-fi fan, it’s a great time to be alive. At least for those who can appreciate the quantum leap technology has taken over the last couple decades.

Not that long ago, wireless tablets could only be found on episodes of Star Trek. Now they almost seem commonplace. When you think about it, is the typical smart phone all that different from the classic communicator found in most sci-fi stories? And don’t even get me started on 3D printers.

I know I’m not the only one that geeks out on all the gadgetry coming to fruition in the here and now. Countless years of sci-fi stories from the past conjured up futuristic devices that seemed almost magical in their day. But now, a brief look at the latest announcements from Wired Magazine and suddenly those devices don’t seem so far fetched. If it seems like I’m overstating, just look up something called graphine and prepare to be amazed.

I know what you’re thinking, until there’s light sabers and teleportation you refuse to be impressed. Well, to be honest, I’m a little sad about the lack of progress on those fronts as well. After all, Back to the Future 2 promised me that by 2015 we’d have hoverboards and flying De Loreans. But perhaps we’re just being too greedy. All I can say is that when I turn on my smart phone, hit the Shazam app and within a few seconds I know detailed information about whatever song happens to be playing, it’s hard to believe there's no magic involved.

1 comment:

  1. Sci fi rocks! I think it's my favorite genre of all. I love how imaginative it is, yet believable at the same time.

    ReplyDelete