Sunday, March 9, 2014

Five New Young Adult Stand-Outs

I'm a picky reader. I'll only read a book all the way through if I love it. But if I'm not thrilled, I rarely make it past page fifty. Who has time to read something just to finish it (okay, yes, I did make one exception below)? In that vein, I've compiled a list of YA books that I'm either thrilled with or desperately looking forward to. I'd love to hear your recent Top 5 in the comments below.

These Broken Stars is a book I've just finished listening to on audio format. What a wonderful adventure! This is the start of a new series (also soon to be a TV show) that takes you into a world that is both familiar and alien. While many of the themes and plot elements are timeless, they mingle the genres so well that you get lost in it all and can't help but forget the hundred other "shipwreck" stories that you've read.

I highly recommend this as a great new stand-out sic-fi!

Purchase: On Amazon



World After is the sequel to ANGELFALL by Susan Ee. I have been looking forward to this book for about two years now, at least, and it was well worth the wait. Ms. Ee adds to the lore and grows the story and you can still follow the character and love her, as easily as in book one. You have to read ANGELFALL first but I don't think it'll take you long.

This is an awesome post-apocolyptic YA with an angelic twist.

Purchase: On Amazon


More Than This is the new Patrick Ness novel about a boy who dies and then comes back—but his world is a little different. Now, I am a HUGE Patrick Ness fan. It's actually a little embarrassing. You know how girls get about Edward and Bella? Well, I had a similar spaz attack about Todd and Viola in The Chaos Walking Series. I geek out at those books. If a movie was ever made I may become a tad embarrassing to be around. I haven't read Ness' recent piece, but how could it NOT be amazing? Monster Calls, anyone? Hellooo?

Purchase: On Amazon

City Of Heavenly Fire is book bazillion-and-one in the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clair. I have to admit that it took me until a year ago to get through book one. City of Bones was torment. But I did the unthinkable and read the whole thing anyway, because my friend kept telling me it would be worth it. Well, she was right! OMG, this series rocks #AllTheThings. So, break the rule and force it. You won't regret it. In only two more weeks this book shall be mine. Oh, yes, it shall be mine.

A crazy huge world of awesome and adventure. Read these books!

Purchase: On Amazon


FATHOM is amazing! Because this is being re-released, I'm adding it to my list for the new year. I really love this book. Merrie is an amazing writer and the heart-felt romance and mysterious world she creates in this novel will last in your mind for days. You know those books that linger on the pallet? This is one of those stories. If you love celtic legends told in a new way, grab it!

A haunting tale of lingering death and new awakening.

Purchase: On Amazon

Now, I'd love to hear your Top 5 new picks...

1 comment:

  1. Great books, Rachel! I was just reading These Broken Stars this weekend. (How did you know?) And thanks for including Fathom! My picks? Well, I would have to include one very secret, yet unpublished book I can only call DB, written by one Rachel Marks. So. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete